Friday, December 30, 2011

Year in Review

Oh, the plans I had for my Christmas break.  The lessons I would prepare, the menus I would plan, the library books I would read.  And with Matt off work as well, what better opportunity to get errands run and house cleaned?  But it's now afternoon, 9 days after this lovely break began, and we're both sitting in our pajamas,  not even really planning to leave the house.  I had holiday M&Ms for breakfast.  I thought about taking down our Christmas tree, but all the boxes for the ornaments are in the basement, and I'd have to put on slippers.  My dog is wedged very comfortably at my side, and I don't want to disturb her.  I've had about a day and a half of productivity. Fortunately, this past week is not indicative of the productivity of the last year.  And all this lazy time has been good reflection time on where we've been in 2011, and where we want to go in 2012 (at least before the world ends).


The House: If you've read this blog before, you know how much I love our house.  But I've also loved entertaining in our home, and to a lesser extent, learning how to fix broken stuff and be grown-ups.  This has mostly been Matt's region, and the Shop-Vac and cordless drill he got for Christmas will help him in his endeavors.  But I help, and I want to learn to do more around my home.  2012 Home Goal: Cook and eat at home more often, and try to develop a green thumb. 

The Job:  I love my job, and I always want to be a better teacher.  My professional goals are to be positive even when it seems like there's not enough time in the day, and to do more professional reading and writing.  I always make my students write specific goals, so I will add that I want to bring more technology into my classroom and reconsider how I approach outside reading assignments.

The Book of Stuff:  One of my more brilliant ideas of 2011 was to write down the fun stuff that we did over the year.  I have a lined book that I update as we travel, see movies, read books, or go to sporting events.  It's fun and easy, and I have no idea why I haven't done it in the past.  It was something we both contributed to - I wrote down the weekend trips we took for weddings and new restaurants we tried, and Matt handled the starting pitchers of Royals games we saw.  It makes me wonder how much stuff I've done over the years and forgotten, because I didn't have a record.  I really notice this in the books section.  It's no secret I'm a big reader, but I've never thought about writing down what I read.  As I look back, there are books I read three months ago that I'd forgotten about.  I set a somewhat arbitrary goal of 50 books for 2011, and as of today, I've done it!  To be fair, about eight of those books are just a bit below my reading level.  I had a lot of 7th grade literature to catch up on when I moved to the middle school.  However, no picture books were counted in this total, so I'm pretty proud of that!  I want to read another 50 in 2012, but do more writing and sharing about what I read. 

Now it's probably time to take care of some easier goals to accomplish, like showering and going outside.  Happy New Year to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment