Friday, August 12, 2011

Back to School Dreams

Based on my scientific survey of the teachers I have spoken to in the past week or so, I am not alone in having bizarre back to school dreams.  Any teacher I didn't talk to and has a trick for not dreaming about school, please let me know because I wake up all flummoxed and cranky.  I am aware that these dreams are a result of thinking a lot about school, anxiety/excitement for the new year, and a little bit of brain vomit.  But for the sake of my blogging readership and some funsies,  I went to the first dream interpretation guide I found on Google to examine potential dream messages.  After all, "acquiring the ability to interpret your dreams is a powerful tool.  In analyzing your dreams, you can learn about your deep secrets and hidden feelings" (dreammoods.com).  Let's do this!

Dream #1:  I am getting a haircut, but my principal is the one cutting my hair.  It is awkward.

My interpretation:  I probably should get my hair cut before school starts.  My principal is kind of awkward. 

Dream dictionary interpretation: To dream that someone is giving you a haircut suggests that you are experiencing a decreased sense of power.  You feel you are being criticized unfairly.  Alternatively, your dream haircut symbolizes a fresh start.  You are shedding some unwanted aspect of yourself. 

Reaction:  Whoa!  I must totally be experiencing a decreased sense of power because it is an authority figure cutting my hair!!  He's not really critical though, he mostly makes kindly suggestions.  I am getting a fresh start in a new building though...points for the dictionary!

Dream #2:  I am frantic on the first day of school and running around like a fool.  I am given the news that one of my classes is going to be split up to make my other classes bigger, and I'm losing my planning time.  During these extra hours, I will have to serve as school nurse.  I panic because I don't know how to be a nurse.

My interpretation:  Hmm.  Could this really happen?  With budget cuts all over the place, maybe teachers will have to take shifts doling out band aids or waxing the floors.  What if a kid barfs on me???  If it's slow enough, maybe I could still get some grading done.

Dream dictionary interpretation:  I find it odd that there is an entry for nurse and wet nurse, but not school nurse.  Here's what nurse said: To dream that you are a nurse suggests that you need to show more compassion in a situation.

Reaction:  Harsh!  I'm totally compassionate.  I was grossed out by the dream students though, so maybe they're who I need to be nicer to.

Dream #3:  I am approached by the school band director and asked to help out with the marching band.  I love band and am totally excited!  I am a chaperone on the bus to a competition.  When I get off the bus, I'm told that there's been a misunderstanding - I'm not there as a chaperone, but I'm needed as a substitute player because some kid got sick.  They get me a uniform and a trombone, and send me on the field.  I don't know the music or the drill, and I'm very stressed.

My interpretation:  Between the new school year approaching and the big move, this has been a stressful time for me.  Maybe I feel like I need more guidance.  Also, I am an incredible dweeb.

Dream dictionary interpretation: To see or be in a marching band (This is common???)  indicates that you are a team player and able to work in harmony for a common cause.  You show great discipline.  Also, to see or play a trombone in your dream represents success in love.

Reaction:  Oh yeah!  I am AWESOME!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment